Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!


I probably shouldn't have started a healthy eating blog on a holiday (one that tends to be known for picnicking). Oh well!
I started the day (the hot, hot day!) with a track workout up at the high school:
800m warmup
3x1200 with 200 recovery (1st lap of the 1200 at 5K pace, 2nd and 3rd lap at 10K pace....then the 2nd set had the 5K pace on the middle lap....then the 3rd set had the 5K pace on the last lap).  The first 2 sets I was able to do the 5K pace under 9:00 and the 10K pace around 10:00, but by the last set I was done!  I think my 5K pace was around 9:15 for that one.
After a quick shower, I ate a Pink Lady apple. I was saving some calories for lunch - my sister Cyndi and I went to Spice Kitchen, a fantastic local Indian restaurant that has a buffet for lunch.  I had a few triangles of naan (warm and doughy with some crispy spots), and a lot of rice with goat curry sauce and tikka masala sauce spooned on top.  It's odd - I don't really like rice, but the rice at this Indian buffet is amazing!  (I think it's basmati rice)  I could eat it all day.  The best part of lunch, though, was the masala chai.  I LOVE chai tea.  (yes, I know "chai" means "tea", so "chai tea" is technically redundant)  And this is the best chai tea I've ever tasted.  It's definitely spicy, but still has some sweetness.
I spent the afternoon reading and cleaning (in air conditioning!), then headed over to the parents' house for dinner.  We grilled some pineapple (straight on the charcoal grill), burgers (I ate mine with ketchup and mustard on only half a roll), corn on the cob, and roasted beets with a bit of goat cheese.  We toasted US veterans (my dad served in the Army Reserves) with Yuengling (proud of myself - I only had 1/3 of a bottle!).  Dessert was s'mores and a tiny piece of homemade chocolate-strawberry pie.
Image
Image
mmmm carcinogens!
Image
Image
So yeah, not the best day on the healthy eating front.  But there was a lot of healthy food in my meals today.  I'm choosing to concentrate on the positive!
What did you do for Memorial Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment