Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Phew Phun Hours in Philly

A four-mile run started the day.  So hot!  A cold smoothie was needed afterwards - a frozen banana, blueberries, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, some ground flaxseed, and coconut milk.

Then, I went BACK OUTSIDE for 1:15 of bike riding.  Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking.  By the end of the bike ride, I was pretty done....and maybe a bit sun stupid.
Breakfast/lunch was a scrambled egg and avocado on a whole wheat English muffin, with a nectarine.  And I made the tea before the bike ride but put it in the fridge, so it was cold tea.  Much better on such a hot day!

In the afternoon, I took the train down to Philly.  I had to pick up my race bib for the Color Run on Sunday, and I figured I could also have a bit of fun (or "phun", as you have to spell it when you're talking about Philly).  I took the R6 (oh sorry, the Norristown/Manayunk line) to Market East because I didn't want to have to drive in rush hour and then pay for parking.  Going to the Reading Terminal Market for dinner was a no-brainer.
I always love walking around and just looking at everything.  It makes me want to live in the city just so I can go shopping here.  There were several counter shops dedicated to just cheese!
now that's my kind of store

One of the markets had an entire shelf of just Red Mill products (flours, seeds, etc.)
better selection than Wegmans

Dinner had to be a reuben from Hershel's East Side Deli.  It was even better than I remembered.
oh yes

Dessert had to be Bassett's ice cream - Preston and Steve's Gadzooks (chocolate with brownies, chocolate pieces and caramel) is on the bottom and The WHYY Experience (vanilla with butterscotch swirls and chocolate covered pretzels) is on the top.  I had to eat it fast because it was melting!
July is National Ice Cream Month

Then I walked out to the Art Museum.  Yes, it was hot.  Really hot.  Really, really hot.  Like 95+ degrees hot.  But I played tourist and took a lot of pictures of my city.


I love these signs




I hate this building.  It's the dumbest looking building.


I took off my shoes and splashed in the Logan Square fountain.  Who knows when the next time I might get to splash around in a fountain will be?

the frog is vomiting water!


does anyone else see the Dalek attachments on top?!


I stopped for a humongous Sprite on the walk back to Market East.  It was just too hot!  Granted, a sugary beverage probably did absolutely nothing to slake my thirst, but at the time it tasted so good.

my favorite building (even with the Dalek technology)

Back home (in air conditioning) I watched a bit of the Phillies game, but went to bed as soon as Bastardo walked a run and then pitched to a grand slam home run.  Oh well.  Everything else about Philly today was good!
Let's see if I can remember the train stops:  Norristown Transportation Center, Conshohocken, Spring Mill, Miquon, Ivy Ridge, Manayunk, Wissahickon, East Falls, Allegheny, North Broad, Temple, and Market East.  I think I got them all!  I miss the Monday night conductor...he had a great way of announcing each stop, "Allegheny nex" (and no, there's no "t" when he says it; I typed it right).








No comments:

Post a Comment